Saturday, April 18, 2015

What Color is Your Parachute exercise. 7 life stories. #1

1) Let's start from as early as I can remember. How I became a sailor.

I was 16 and I did not know how to sail, my good friend Sam, had joined a Junior College sailing team and told me about it. Meanwhile, I was working in a department store while waiting for my 'O' levels, I did not have the scores to get into the same Junior College and had tried to convince the coach to take me in through the sailing program, I already knew how to canoe and mistakenly in my youthful naivete thought that it was the same. Of course, I was denied and entered another school.

In my stubbornness, I joined the Sea Sports club and took up private lessons, the Club had no sailing team. As it turned out, some members were interested in setting up a sailing team. I joined immediately. After attending every session, with limited boats and too many members, the sailing team dwindled eventually to a smaller team.

I eventually met the coach of Sam's team again, when our club got up and running and we entered the nationals. A founding member of the team, a ragtag bunch with basic boats and no coach, while other established schools had better equipment, funding and training. We made it to the nationals and blazed the trail for the others who followed.

I became a sailor, because I, perhaps foolishly, wanted to prove something. It wasn't easy, but along the way, it became more about being part of something new and having experiences I wouldn't have otherwise had.

a) My goal was to become a sailor as part of a team
b) Hurdles include not having an actual team to be part of, not knowing how to sail and a 2 year limit
c) Step by Step: I took lessons, joined a related club and persevered till the end
d) Outcome: I became a beginner and managed to participate in the Nationals as a team.
e) Quantifiable statement: I learnt a new skill, made new friends while fulfilling my CCA requirements.


No comments:

Post a Comment